As Alexa Chung put it, “one reason people love coming to the Topshop show space is because they always have great snacks.” This season was no exception as we invited chef Tess Ward to make some delicious vegan cheese toasties for us. The best bit? You can make them at home now. Keep reading for instructions on how to make Tess Ward’s ‘Supergreen Toasties’ as loved by our guests on the front row…
Ingredients (4 toasties):
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp capers
1 tsp lemon juice
Handful chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Handful basil leaves
A pinch fresh tarragon
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic , finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
A pinch sea salt
8 slices sourdough bread
2 tbsp Herb Pesto (recipe below)
8 thick slices (vegan) mozzarella
Wilted garlic spinach
2 avocados, sliced
1. Start by making the pesto. Pulse garlic and capers in food processor until chopped.
2. Add lemon juice, herbs and season with salt and pepper.
3. As the processor is running, slowly pour in the olive oil until the herbs get sufficiently chopped and everything is the consistency of a pesto. You may need more or less of the olive oil depending on how big a your handful of herbs is. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Continue by making the spinach. Add the garlic and oil to a large pan on a medium heat and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 2 minutes, remove the lid and move the spinach around in the pan so it all wilts evenly. Season with a pinch of salt.
5. When it’s cooked, drain the spinach and place on absorbent paper. Keep to one side.
6. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the pesto onto each slice of bread.
7. Add the cheese, sliced avocado, wilted spinach and a second slice of cheese to one slice of bread, then top with second slice of bread. Press together gently.
8. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Brush the toastie with olive oil and grill on one side until the bread is golden brown. Flip the sandwich over and cook until second side is golden brown. Serve immediately.